Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rumi





         

           "Let yourself be silently drawn

             by the strong pull

             that you really love

             It will not lead you astray."

                                           Rumi

                                    

        

She withdrew into herself

First writing just for one.

 Then touching thousands.

She incarnated ghosts, hurt, and joy

Into paper-and -ink stories of wonder.


  

"One author said, 'I can get rid of anything by writing about it.,' meaning that the process of externalization could liberate him from the pain of his soul.

That realization produced a delicious dichotomy:  to free himself, or to hold onto both joys and tortures by remaining silent about them.

Writers write because they must:  They need to express something from deep within themselves.  They hear voices that others do not.  They listen urgently, and they must communicate what they hear."

 

 

I will try to get the source for this; I understand it's a commentary on the Tao Te Ching.

   


 


         

3 comments:

  1. Really awesome post, this quote is very nice, and applies to all writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I really appreciate your comment. I know when I first heard this quote, it made me feel very settled inside--that I could trust my heart. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insightful post. Now (thanks to the internet) everyone posts/writes. But who honestly dares to reveal his/her naked soul? Not many. That's what makes a great writer/artist :-)

    P.S. Is the painting by Paul Gauguin?

    ReplyDelete